Thursday, August 9, 2018

Book 2 Part 3 Chapter 10 (Chapter 113 Overall)

Chapter Summaries: Dole: Pierre's mystic diary. Pierre and Boris. Strange visions.
Briggs: Pierre's diaries and dreams show how disturbed he is.
Maude: Pierre's diary
Pevear and Volkhonsky: More from Pierre's diary.

Translation:

X.
He continued his diary, and here is what he wrote in it for this time:

"24th of November.

"I got up at eight, was reading the scriptures, then went to the post (Pierre by the advice of his benefactor entered into service in one of the committees), returned to dinner, dined alone (at the countess there were many guests unpleasant to me), ate and drank modestly and after dinner copied plays for the brothers. In the evening I came down to the countess and told a funny story about B., and only then remembered that I must not do this when all were already loudly laughing.

"Lying down to sleep with a happy and calm soul. The Lord is great, help me walk by your path, 1) win the part of anger — by quietness and slowness 2) lust — by abstinence and disgust, 3) to move away from the fuss, but not excommunicate myself from a) state cases of service, b) from worries of the family, c) from friendly relations and d) economic activities."

"27th of November.

“Got up late and waking up, lied for long in bed, indulging in laziness. My God, help me and strengthen me, in order for me to walk by your ways. Was reading the scriptures, but without a  proper feeling. Brother Urusov came, conversing about the vanity of the world. Talked about the new designs of the sovereign. I was starting to condemn, but remembered the rules and words of our benefactor about how a true mason should be a zealous worker in the state when it required participation, and calmly contemplated this, which is why it was not called up. My tongue — my enemy. Brothers G. B. and O. visited me for a preparatory conversation for the adoption of a new brother. They impose on me the duty of rhetor. I feel myself weak and unworthy. Then came in a speech about the explanation of the seven pillars and the steps of the temple, 7 sciences, 7 virtues, 7 vices, and 7 gifts of the saintly spirit. Brother O. was very eloquent. At night adoption was subjected. The new arrangement of the premises very much promoted the splendor of the spectacle. The adopted was Boris Drubetskoy. I suggested him,  and I was rhetor. A strange feeling worried me in all the time of preparing to stay with him in the dark temple. I caught in myself a feeling of hatred to him, which I in vain strove to get over. And because of that I desired to truly save him from evil and introduce him in the way of truths, but the bad thought about him did not leave me. I thought that his objective for entry into the brotherhood consisted only in a desire to get closer with people that would be in his favor for being in our lodge. Besides those foundations, he a few times asked whether N. and S. were in our lodge (in that I could not respond to him), besides this, he by my observations was not capable of feeling respect to our saintly Order and was too busy and satisfied by the outside human so that to want improvements spiritually. I do not have the foundations to doubt in him; but he seemed to me insincere, and all the time, when I stood with him eye to eye in the dark temple, to me it seemed that he contemptuously smiled at my words, and I wanted to really prick his naked chest with the sword, which I held, put against to it. I could not be eloquent and  could not sincerely report my doubt to the brothers and the great master. The great Architect of nature, help me to find the true way, going out from the labyrinth of lies."

After this in the diary was three missing leafs, and then the following was written:

"I have had an instructive and long conversation alone with brother B., who advised me to hold onto brother A. Much, although unworthily, was opened to me. Adonai is the name of who made the world. Elohim is the name ruling all. The third name, the unspeakable name, has only matter. The conversations with brother V. reinforced, refreshed and asserted me in the way of virtues. In him there are no places to doubt. To me there is a clear difference in the poor teachings of social sciences with our saints, embracing the teaching of all. The science of humanity subdivides all — so that to understand and kill all — so that to consider. In the sacred science of the order all is one, all is known in the summation of life. The trinity — the three beginning things — sulfur, mercury and salt. Sulfur is the oily and fiery properties in connection with salt, fierily excites its craving, through which it attracts mercury, grabs it, holds and cumulatively produces separate bodies. Mercury is a liquid and a volatile spiritual essence — Christ, the spirit of the sacred, he."

"3rd of December.

"Awoke late, was reading the scriptures, but was insensible. Afterward I got out and went by the hall. I wanted to ponder, but instead of this my imagination represented one past incident four years to that backwards. Sir Dolohov, after my duel meeting with me in Moscow, said to me that he hoped that I was used to full sincere calmness now, despite the absence of my spouse. I then responded with nothing. Now I recalled all the details of this meeting and in my soul spoke to him the most spiteful words and prickly answers. I came to my senses and threw this idea and only then, when seeing myself in inflamed anger; but I had not repented enough in this. Afterward came Boris Drubetskoy and he began telling a different adventure; I again with his coming was made displeased and said to him something disgusting. He objected. I flared up and uttered to him lots of unpleasant and even rude words. He fell silent and I caught on only then, when it was already too late. My God, I really cannot be treated with him. This is caused by my pride. I place myself above him and because of this I do him much worse, for he is condescending to my rudeness, but I, opposite of this, nourish contempt to him. My God, grant me in his presence to see more of my abomination and to act so that this is helpful to him. After dinner I was asleep and in that time as I fell asleep, I heard clearly a voice saying to me in my left ear: —"Your day."

"I saw in a dream that I went into the dark, and suddenly was surrounded by dogs, but went without fear; suddenly a small one grabbed me behind the left thigh with its teeth and would not release. I began to crush it with my hands. And only had I torn it, as another, bigger one began to gnaw on me. I began to raise it and the more I lifted, the harder and harder it became. And suddenly brother A. was going and, taking me under the arm, led me to a building for which to enter it was needed to be taken by a narrow board. I set a foot on it and the board bent back and fell, and I began to climb on the fence, before which my hands barely reached. After large efforts I dragged my body so that my legs hung onto one, but my torso on a different side. I turned back and saw that brother A. stood on the fence and indicated to me a big alley and garden, and in the garden was a great and beautiful building. I awoke. Lord, great Architect of nature! Help me rip off from myself the dogs — my passions and the last of them, copulating in myself all the former forces, and help me to march into that temple of virtues, which I beheld in the dream."

"7th of December.

"I saw in a dream as if Iosif Alekseevich sat in my house, and I was very glad, and wanted to treat him. As if with an outsider I incessantly chatted and suddenly remembered that this may not be liked by him, and I wanted to approach him and embrace him. Yet only as he approached, I saw that his face transformed, had become young, and he quietly said something to me from the teachings of the order, so quietly that I could not hear. Then, as if, we were all coming out of the room, and something difficult had happened here. We were sitting or lying on the floor. He said something to me. But I as if wanting to show him my sensitivity, not listening to his speech, began to imagine myself in the state of an internal human and was overshadowed by the mercy of God. And appeared tears in my eyes, and I was satisfied that he noticed this. But he looked at me with annoyance and jumped up, suppressing the conversation. I dully asked whether I was to carry off; but he responded with nothing, showed me an affectionate view, and we suddenly found ourselves in my bedroom, where a double bed stood. He lied down on the edge of it, and I, as if blazed with a desire to fondle him and lie down, was here already. And he, as if asking me to: "Say the truth, what is your main addiction? Do you recognize it? I think that you already recognize it." I, embarrassed by this issue, responded that laziness was my main addiction. He suspiciously shook his head. And I, still more embarrassed, responded to him that I, although living with my wife, by his advice, was not as a husband to my wife. To this he objected that I must not deprive my wife of caresses, giving the feeling that this was my duty. Yet I responded that I was ashamed of this, and suddenly everything disappeared. And I awoke, and found in my thoughts the text of the scriptures: the life is the light of the human, and the light in darkness shines and its darkness is not embraced. The face of Iosif Alekseevich was youthful and light. On this day I received a letter from my benefactor, in which he wrote about the responsibilities of matrimony."

"9th of December.

"I saw a dream, from which I awoke with a trembling heart. I saw, as if I was in Moscow, in his house, on a big sofa, and from the living room exited Iosif Alekseevich. As if I immediately found out how he had now accomplished the process of revival, I rushed to meet him. I, as if his whole, gave my hand to him, but he said: "Did you notice that I now have the face of another?" I looked at him, keeping from hugging him, and as if I saw that his face was young, but he had no hair on his head, and his features were completely of another’s. And as if I said to him: "I would have found you if I would have accidentally met with you," and thinking between that: “Have I said the truth?" and suddenly I saw that he was lying as if a dead body; then little by little came to myself and entered with me in a big office, holding a big book, written on an Alexandrian sheet. And as if I said: "This I wrote," he replied to me with a nod of the head. I opened the book, and in this book on all the pages were perfect drawings. And it was as if I knew that this picture presented amorous adventures of the soul with its beloved. And on the pages it was as if I saw the beautiful image of girls in transparent clothes and with a transparent body, flying up to the clouds. And it was as if I knew that this girl was not that other, as an image sings a song. And it was as if I, looking at these drawings, felt that I did badly, and could not rip them off. Lord, help me! My God, if this is you abandoning me, then your will is your will; but if I have already caused this, then teach me what to do. I will be killed from this depravity, will you quite leave me."

Time: November 24 (December 6 in Dole), November 27 (December 7 in Dole), December 3 (December 15 in Dole), December 7 (December 17 in Dole), December 9 (December 21 in Dole)
Mentioned: eight o'clock, evening, four years ago, after dinner

Locations: see previous chapter
Mentioned: dark temple (meaning the lodge where the initiation took place. ...chamber in Mandelker. ....room in Dole. just lodge in Bell.), Moscow, Pierre's house in Moscow

Pevear and Volokhonsky Notes:
More diary. This is where I think Tolstoy's diary will be particularly helpful. Pierre has doubts, does things he knows he shouldn't do and asks God for help. He gets the duty of rhetor and has to admit Boris in while combating
negative thoughts about him. Pierre now sees through his obvious lust for power. This situation only worsens until Pierre says things he shouldn't say to him. He has a dream in which dogs continue to pile onto him and attack
him after he gets rid of each one. He also has a dream that he should sleep with his wife again (with Iosif Alexeevich telling him this).


Characters (characters who do not appear, but are mentioned are placed in italics. First appearances are in Bold. First mentions are underlined. Final appearance denoted by *):

Pierre

Ellen ("the Countess" and "wife".)

Brother Urusof ("...Urusov" in Briggs, Wiener, Dunnigan, and Edmonds. "Ouroussow" in Bell.)

Emperor Alexander ("Emperor".)

Iosiph Alekseyevitch (also "Benefactor".)

Boris Drubetskoi

Grand Master

Dolokhof (with Mr. as a prefix.)


(B., G. V, A., V, N., S., and O. are all shortened names that shouldn't be considered characters)


Abridged Versions: End of chapter 3 in Bell.
Gibian: Chapter 5
Fuller: Entire chapter is cut.
Komroff: Entire chapter is cut.
Kropotkin: Entire chapter is cut.
Simmons: Chapter 5: Entire chapter is cut and replaced with: "Pierre, who now serves on one of the government committees, tells in his diary of reading and Scriptures, and of his
struggles against anger, lust, and worldliness. In inducting Boris Drubetskoy into the Masons, he experiences a feeling of hatred for him and condemns his insincerity in joining the
movement for purely social reasons. Pierre also relates his dreams, symbolically involving his Masonic mentor Joseph Alexeevich."

Additional Notes:

Introduction to Confession by Jane Kentish: During the Sevastopol campaign the young Tolstoy, who was then serving as a cadet, describes in his diary the conception of ‘a
stupendous idea, to the realization of which I feel capable of dedicating my whole life. The idea is the founding of a new religion corresponding to the present development of
mankind: the religion of Christ purged of dogmas and mysticism - a practical religion not promising future bliss but giving bliss on earth.’ Tolstoy was later to dedicate his life to
just this cause...In one way or another Tolstoy had been seeking a comprehensive understanding of the meaning of life (whether it be called God, the truth, or happiness) since
his earlier years. But it was not until the 1870s that he felt compelled to dedicate his life and intellect wholly to this affair. Before and while writing Anna Karenina Tolstoy
increasingly turned his attention to religion as the deepest expression of man’s purpose...

Lydia Ginzburg (Casual Conditionality)

Pierre is an educated Russian nobleman of the pre-Decembrist period who has been brought up abroad, a son of the Enlightenment, and a future Decembrist….His sins
derive from the interaction of his organic sensuality and hereditary indiscipline with the habits of his aristocratic milieu..

Tolstoy's Letters: Page 494: “Doing nothing, without the amusements provided by the work of other people, is a very hard state to endure unless it’s filled up by inner work;
but if one is removed from the conditions of luxury and other people’s work there’s no reason to fear this idleness. A million times more harm has probably been done and
is being done to mankind by love of work than by idleness.”

No comments:

Post a Comment